Earthworks Farm is located on 4.9 acres within Whittier Narrows recreational area near South El Monte. Earthworks is a working farm run by the San Gabriel Valley Conservation Corps (SGVCC). We provide work training and education to local, at-risk youth that participate in SGVCC programs. We strive to reach out to local schools to provide on-site education, as well as field trip opportunities. Our mission is to provide healthy food, environmental education and farm-related recreation to the local community, while promoting local and sustainable farming. We model small scale organic farming in an urban setting, and showcase hand-worked beds and larger machine tilled fields. We want to highlight all aspects of organic farming, from the smallest garden plot to larger commercial operations.
Volunteers are vital to the ongoing operation of Earthworks farm. We welcome all ages and skill levels to come by and lend a hand.
What is a Mentor?
SGVCC YouthBuild mentors are adult volunteers who want to make a positive impact on a young adult’s life (between the ages 16-24). Mentors will focuswill focus on supporting a young adult’s Life Plan, helping to identify their strengths, and guide them towards their goals of completing their education, career, and other personal goals etc….
Responsibilities of a Mentor
• Mentors provide support and guidance with the YouthBuild participant’s “Life Plan,” which consists of short and long term personal, professional, and educational goals. The Life Plan components include: Education, Job and Career development, Family and Friend relationships, Health, Finances, Leadership, and other Personal Goals.
• Each mentor is making a commitment to mentoring a YouthBuild participant, with an underlying goal of cultivating a lasting relationship.
• Mentors and YouthBuild participant’s are to have two face-to-face meetings per month, and shall maintain e-mail or phone communication for a total of minimum of 4 hours of mentoring per month.
• Mentors and YouthBuild participants are to communicate with the Mentoring Data Coordinator once a month to provide feedback on the participant’s progress as well as their relationship.
• The Mentoring Date Coordinator will organize a group meeting/event once a month for all YouthBuild Mentors and Mentees.
If you are interested in volunteering fill out our Google form at the link below: